Tuesday, December 31, 2013

3, 4 Open the door

Whoever it is that made up the Mother Goose Rhyme which goes...
     1, 2 Buckle my Shoe
     3, 4 Open the door
     5, 6 Pick up sticks
     7, 8 Lay them straight
     9, 10 Do it again (then start over from 1) or A big fat hen (if 2nd iteration)
... has got to have received lots of complaints from parents of kids who take things literally.

This is currently one of Swe-cha's favorite rhyme. My guess is that this is because he feels compelled to open doors whenever he hears 3, 4. He'll shout "open door!" and will run off to open a door or two which, more often than not, will turn out to be our front door.

Yes, it is amusing but so not a good idea - not just because of security concerns - but also because of the below-freezing temperatures outside.

Is there a petition out there ? If yes, where do I sign ?

In the meantime, I'll see if I can convince him to open an interior door instead or better yet, "pick up toys" (instead of sticks) and "lay them straight", para may pakinabang naman :)
-----------

This reminds me, the rhyme I grew up with during my childhood went "shut the door", not "open the door". In retrospect, I think it was very smart of my parents to pick this version of the rhyme.

No comments:

Post a Comment